On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:27:16 -0600 Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Craig wrote:
> >
> > What do you want to know about it?
>
> Everything about the control system. *grin*

I don't know if I'd call it a "control system", but it's not that
difficult.

I did look in my paper manuals (Engine manual and both volumes of the
Chassis and Body manual) for information, but found only job 03-410,
Removal and installation of flywheel and driven plate, and job 03-420,
Refacing flywheel, to be related to the manual clutch in any way.

I thought I had seen something that at least talked about bleeding the
clutch, but I cannot find that either!

> The supply hose was leaking, so I did a field-expedite repair with an
> incorrect hose.  While under the dash, I noticed the master cylinder
> was leaking a bit.  That was last week. Yesterday I found a large
> puddle of break fluid under the car. Seems to be coming off the area
> around the slave cylinder.
>
> So it looks like I get to do a complete hydraulic system service.  Oh -
> and the brake master cylinder is allowing the brake pedal to "sink"
> under light pressure, so it too need a rebuild.
>
> But I found the section in the manual for the brakes.

So everything hydraulic needs to be looked at.

The master cylinder for the brakes and its affiliated appurtenances are
the more complicated part of the system.

The clutch system has one master cylinder and one slave cylinder. The
master cylinder is fed by a rubber/cloth hose from the rear section of
the brake fluid reservoir. That goes through the firewall to the inlet of
the clutch master cylinder. The outlet of the clutch master cylinder is
connected to a hard line that goes through the firewall near to the bell
housing. A short flex line jumps the gap between the body and the bell
housing and connects to another hard line that goes to the slave
cylinder, which actually does the work of pushing on the clutch actuator.

The leak at the master cylinder can be due to the connection of the hard
line being loose. That was the problem on our car when I found a
brake-fluid-saturated (and ruined) driver's carpet.

Both the master and the slave cylinders, of course, are subject to
leaking gaskets and seals. I used to rebuild them, but don't anymore. Q
has the parts you need.

I found the best way to bleed the clutch is by pressure bleeding from the
slave cylinder bleed screw. That has the potential of over-filling the
brake fluid reservoir. Others say one should connect one of the front
brake caliper bleed screws to the clutch slave cylinder bleed screw and
pump the brakes. That risks ruining the brake master cylinder by running
the seals onto a region that hasn't been much used and is therefore rough.
Still others say start the car in gear and drive around until the clutch
self-bleeds.

I wish you success.

Craig