I was looking for a MW oven 25 years ago, and when I asked about reliability, the guy at the store said that none of the touchpad ovens last long, as the touchpads fail. He said he had one Litton left with a dial timer. He deemed that machine as the most reliable available. It still works great. Id does NOT play muzak, talk back or do anything but microwave food. It is wonderful.

About 10 years ago I bought an ancient (65-72 maybe) Amana microwave for the cottage. It still works wonderfully tool

These un-needed electronic gadgets on cars would not be so irritating if they did not interfere with the basic wiring harness and function of the car. Unfortunately, no car Mfgr cares what happens once the vehicle is out of warranty, as long as there is a better than 30% probability of the original sucker(oops: owner) of the car buying another from them.

The Mercedes 110 chassis series was simple, clean, safe, economical and utterly reliable. Most of the people who bought them were young engineers who appreciated the economy, reliability and safety.

The first rule of engineering is Keep It Simple, Stupid. Programmers like to call themselves "software engineers" but they are not engineers in any respect. A study done at ISU a few years ago showed a night and day personality/psychological difference between engineers and programmers.

One reason that apple products are still superior is that there is some acknowledgement in the company's design works that simple is good. That concept has never been discovered or applied in redmond, thus the famous bloatware of M$. (and the resultant army of IT folks needed to support it)

While previously geographically confined primarily to Redmond, WA, and the SanJose, CA area, severe [PD] epidemics are now places like Stuttgart, and Munich in Germany, the entire country of Japan, ... [PD is programmers disease, a severe terminal, untreatable disease that results in the insertion of all kinds of worthless "features" just because they can slip it by someone to show off a new gimmick they learned]

No kidding!  They got a new microwave oven at work.  The wretched
thing beeps out some kind of lame tune when it's done.  (Those
sonalert beepers are bad enough all by their lonesome, now let's
hear 'music' on them...)  Guys have wasted irreplaceable minutes
of their life navigating the menu buttons to try to turn it off,
and sometimes they succeed, but then the oven goes and forgets
what it's been told and it starts all over.

It's an _oven_!  The world is full of MP3 players, home theater
audio systems, etc., and we need an _oven_ that peeps like a diseased
chick when your food is ready?  Puts me off any thought of eating,
and more toward pitching the thing, food and all, through the
nearest window.

-- Jim