I have run Michelins, generals, Dunlop, Fulda, Kleber, Metzler, goodyear, Firestone, and some off brands, and a LOT of Continentals. All the michelins and goodyears except the set on the quantum, all died early deaths of slipped belts. One set of dunlops was very good, the other all 4 slipped belts within 100 miles. (not a good day) All the Fulda, Kleber, Metzler and Continentals have given good service with good gripping in all conditions. I never have had a European made tire fail. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to find Euro tires at common prices now.

I had a set of toyos on the Escort.  They slipped belts.
I put two highly rated Jokohama avid something on the front of a 124. In less than 500 miles the LF tire threw its tread on the interstate without warning and did major damage to the car. It was NEVER underinflated, It was NEVER punctured. The are just bad tires. I have NO other evidence. I am not risking my life or my family's lives to try again. Every tire mfgr has failures. some have more than others. Some take failures seriously, others don't.

This is not a scientific study. It is real world experience. Y'all can buy whatever you want. I will buy blizzaks and Continentals.

 > Dieselhead wrote:

 They also have a tendency to throw the tread at highway speeds
 causing the inner fender liners to be torn up, and damage to
 the fender, trim, bumper and possibly your life, or SWMBO's,
 or your kid's life.

That can happen to a tire from any manufacture.  Under-inflation
can be a cause.  Or puncture damage.  It could also caused by
design or manufacturing.
Is there evidence that this happens more to Yokohama tires than
other brands?

--     Philip