Speaking of diesel kleen, when I get the 140 SD back on the road, should I run some of this stuff thru there for a while? This engine was burning a LOT of oil for a long time and the head is all carboned up. I cleaned it up a bit before I put the head back on but I should have done a more complete job. In fact, I probably should have sent it to a machine shot to have it cleaned up. The underside in the combustion chambers were really bad on some of them with the prechambers really coated with carbon. I cleaned most of that off the best I could but the intake and exhaust ports on the valve sides have quite a bit of carbon and gunk. I figure clean running and some hard runs combined with maybe some diesel kleen and/or purge will clean that stuff out.

On 1/1/2011 7:51 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
I'm with Phillip and Marshall on this...

My '84 190D is slowly cycling into service so last week it got a bottle of
Diesel Kleen which I think helps to de-carbon an engine and otherwise
de-schmutz the fuel system. I've seen this dramatically in the '78 240D which
had quite low idle when I first got it but with heavy driving and diesel Kleen
has corrected. At first when I added the Diesel Kleen it would idle rather high
and as the DK worked its way out of the system (I add a lot, the 100 gallon
treatment for ~10 gallons) the idle would slow. When it was real slow the
engine would rattle and shake unacceptably, a tweak on the idle knob would
bring it back. Anyway now that its right I've discontinued treatment.

The 190D doesn't have any particular fault I dosed it just in case...

-Curt

Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:58:18 -0600
From: Fmiser<fmi...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Howe's Diesel Treat

Dwight E. Giles, Jr wrote:
Howe's is RI product (Ocean State Oil) -along with quahogs-so
it is highly recommended and used here. I have used it for 8
years in both my 240D's and my 300D 2.5t and I plan to use it
in my new 300  CD that I brought home last night.  I use it
from Nov-March about yeah much in each tank.
Why are you using it?

If it's for anti-gel, and you get your fuel from a station that
has even moderate turnover, it's not necessary.  The fuel
distributors create a winter blend suitable for the area.  If
you have Florida fuel in Manitoba there could be trouble - but
RI fuel anywhere near New England will be fine.  Unless you get
some really crazy-cold weather.

If you use it to disperse water, that can be helpful.

If you use it to replace the missing lubricity caused by the
de-sulfuring, that's valid - but should be used all year.

--       Philip

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic,
 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D,