I cleaned the piston tops and underside of head best I could to get the major gunk off but its by no means "as new" clean. Only replacing #1 was a concern of mine as well since the manual gives a spec of the weight the rods can differ, and the new rod is way heavier than the others. Just from it running I can tell any difference. And also there was the other dude on there who did the same thing and has put 50k or more on his since with no problems. I figured it was worth a shot. Will see how it goes.