Having the same problem with the 87 300D. Won't start in P or N. Once in a while it will start. I am betting on a loose wire at the solenoid or bad solenoid. Had similar problem on the 240D 8 years ago. That one sometimes responded to whacking the solenoid. If not it was fairly easy to jump, unlike the OM60x engines. Last night daughter got the 300D started and was able to get it home form the wallyland parking lot. I ordered a used starter from a junkyard. Now she has to get someone to change it for a reasonable price. And she needs to get it to start one more time.

This si the car that we swapped the standard tranny in to replace an auto.
We discarded the safety switch - I think we soldered the wires together.
Though, if we just twisted them, they have disconnected, thus preventing the
starter from energizing. This might be the first thing we check.

There is no click of the solenoid, and the lights do not dim when we try to
engage the starter. It's like there is no current there at all. Since it was
working flawlessly all day before this event, I'm betting on a wiring or
switch issue.

It should warm up to the 40's or 50's Sat. - the target day.