While Mercedes is still a premium brand, I think they've worked hard to
water down their image over the years.  It's hard to label yourself as being
an exclusively luxury brand, when you have B Class models sitting next to S
Class models on the showroom floor.  25 years ago, even with what is now
considered a basic D240, there was a unique "quality" to the car, and it was
felt while cheaper, and an entry level car, the same quality and engineering
went into it, as their more expensive offerings.  Today, it would be pretty
hard to convince anyone, that when you buy a B Class, you're getting S Class
engineering and quality, in a smaller package.  It is what it is, and that's
an alternative to a small Ford or Toyota.

Options make money, car volume, to a much lesser extent.  More profitable to
load up every model with satnav and other toys, than to sell twice as many
car, in basic form.

Ed
300E