I'll check for connectors touching, but this problem is a sudden appearance and
the harness does have many cracks in the insulation.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Jan 23, 2011 4:46 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin <ka...@striplin.net> wrote:

No, that is definitely not it.  Im not sure you need a new

harness, I did because mine had the biodegradable harness.  Im

just saying check to see if you have a connector touching the

intake or something.

On 1/23/2011 4:42 PM, Benz Hogs wrote:

> Well crap.  On Rusty's site, is that the wiring harness listed

> under "engine electrical?"  If that's the case, it's only $42

> plus new glow plugs and intake seals....  How do you check the

> glow plug relay to see if it is good?

>  Luther   KB5QHU    Oak Park, IL

> '87 300SDL (312,xxx mi)

> '91 Dodge Ram 150 (290,xxx mi)

> On 1/23/2011 4:31 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

>> I went thru something similar in putting my 140 SD back

>> together.  My wiring harness was bad for one thing to the plugs

>> and all the insulation was off, but my shorting problem was one

>> of the glow plug wires connector had turned up enough to make

>> contact with the intake manifold causing a short.  I think this

>> blew up the glow plug relay so I swapped in another one after

>> installing new glow plug wiring harness and its been fine since.

>> On 1/23/2011 4:26 PM, Benz Hogs wrote:

>>> Hi all, I've been absent and finally have my first towable

>>> major failure in the SDL...

>>> When turning the key to the run/glow position, the electrical

>>> system completely shuts down, 0v, the dome light is off, and

>>> not even a glow of dome light at night.  Jumping the car did

>>> not help so I removed the battery, had Advance Auto check it

>>> to find around 700 of 850CCA (still plenty to start the car),

>>> but it showed the replace signs also, and they replaced it

>>> under warranty.  Same symptoms with the new battery.

>>> Next check was to use the 30-0-30 ameter and check directly to

>>> the rear glow plug from the positive battery terminal.  This

>>> was a direct short and I was arc welding with 12 gauge

>>> wire....  I disconnected both connectors to the glow plug

>>> relay and now the run/glow position does not kill the

>>> electrical system and the starter turns over like normal.

>>> So, my next thoughts are to check each individual glow plug

>>> with the ohm meter (which I need to buy since the HF one I

>>> have is not working) and see if there are dead shorts in the

>>> system.  Could the relay be the cause of this mess?  The 80A

--

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK

  95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic,

  91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,

  85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D,