Are you *sure* there isn't a leak? I had one on my Volvo that only leaked when the engine was running, and it was in an area where the fuel could pool and evaporate instead of dripping to the ground. It took running the car while it was on the rack to find it. After repairing it, the fuel smell persisted for a week or so because the undercoating was saturated with gasoline.

If you're sure it's not leaking, I'd start looking for a loose fuel tank vent line, bad fuel tank filler neck seal, or rust holes in the top of the tank. These are generic suggestions because I don't know your particular car at all.