DSL, that ain't exactly a big ticket item as it uses the existing telephone lines and seems to work pretty well most of the time.

So long as you live within X distance of the switch
office.  Which we don't.  We live 12 minutes from a shopping
mall (10 from the freeway) and DSL doesn't come out this far,
not by a substantial margin!  No cable, either.

New, all-digital, TV _barely_ makes it here, once we put
an antenna that looks like a bedspring up on the roof.
Most days it works fine.

Urban thinking sucks.

We do happen to have wireless, courtesy of a BBQ-sized microwave
antenna and a 1W RF amplifier nailed to the side of the house.
And a lot of chainsaw work.

-- Jim