Tim - thanks for your help, I'll take a look!

-Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Tim C
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 10:40 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Netflix

We use PlayOn (playon.tv); they recently restructured pricing such that it
is $40/year-ish, including support.  Basically it is a DLNA server that
converts online video in real time and streams it as high -bandwidth MPEG2
within the house network.  The PC is in the basement, and then we have PS3s
(with the media remotes, so it is a lot like a Tivo) on the TVs as DLNA
clients.  Any other DLNA client should work as well.

For us a big advantage to PlayOn (aside from formal support) is that one
server can serve multiple TVs, so SWMBO can watch upstairs while kids watch
downstairs. (Another advantage I was not expecting: since the kids know they
can watch show X whenever, they wind up not watching at all.  We did not get
this benefit from Tivo, though I'm not sure why it is different.)

There is a plug in for German content, so there might also be Italian; you
can look at playonplugins.com.

That written, since you have the computer on the (only?) TV already, you
might rather look at Boxee or XBMC.  One of them might be the better
solution for your setup.

I have no affiliation with anyone who makes money from any of the above
companies, just a happy customer.

-Tim
Who must admit that, while life is more interesting, it is much harder to
keep the house clean when the children do not watch television.