I got it solved with a work around. i opened the ppt in winders and saved it as htm from there. That produced a .asf file for each slide.

Then I went bac to mac and opened the sound files I wanted to edit in Audacity. When I was done, I exported them (.wav) and put them into the slide show.

Still don't know how to find the sound files in OSX.

 > Dieselhead wrote:

 I have tried saving the ppt as HTM now, and I get htm and gif
 files, one .js and one xml file.  I can't find anything that
 looks like a sound file.  Am I missing something?
 Interestingly, when I load the htm, the sound plays.  I can't
 figure out where the sound lives.

If the htm plays the sound, then there is a link to the sound in
the page.  Maybe by looking at the page source you can figure
out where the link points and snag the audio.

--     Philip