Smith, Todd wrote:

Hello,

I am a recent newcomer and lurker on this list and I have enjoyed the expert
advice and friendly atmosphere to frequently asked questions.  About a month
ago, I purchased a 1985 300CD from eBay that I had planned to use as a daily
driver and as a suitable candidate for biodiesel.  Unfortunately, neither of
these goals has been met since some unexpected expenses have tapped my
biodiesel fund and the car has issues that were not correctly presented during
the sale.

This has led me to the unenviable task of selling the car to recover the funds
that I have in it.  My goal is to accurately report everything that I know or
believe about the car with enough pictures to hopefully cover all angles.  I
want the next buyer to be able to make an informed decision.  Yes, I know that
this is stupid since it will probably cost me the sale but I am tired of being
burned and this is the only way to break the cycle.  The pictures are available
at http://photos.yahoo.com/tssmith2002

The car is white; the paint is somewhat faded but is generally okay, especially
considering its age.  There is rust on one fender and but the rubber covers
over the bumpers still seem good.  It may appear to have rust along the trunk
lid but that is actually two leaves that I didn't't notice until I was looking
at the pictures.  I can take another picture if someone wishes me to confirm
that statement.  The doors are solid with the exception of the trim of the
passenger's door.  There is a picture with me placing my finger in the gap that
is sprung from the trim.

The interior is worn but still serviceable with the majority of the wear in the
driver's seat.  There is a tear or spilt seam in the middle of the back seat
that looks like it needs some attention.  I believe that the interior pictures
cover the interior pretty well.  If anyone needs a better picture or can make a
suggestion as to something that a buyer might want to see; please feel free to
ask me.

Good points:

        1)      Car runs and I have driven it over 300 miles at Interstate
speeds from Maryland to its current home in Charleston, West Virginia.
        2)      Aftermarket radio plays pretty well with good reception.
        3)      Climate control seems to work with the exception of A/C.
        4)      Front windows work howbeit slowly.  The rear power windows do
not retract, PO says that switches are bad but motors are good.  (Motor
condition not verified)
        5)      Rides pretty good for a car of its age.
        6)      My personal belief is that the engine and transmission is good
but both need attention.
        7)      It's a MB diesel and if it finds a good home then it should run
for a while longer.
        8)   Tires are almost brand new and show very deep tread.

Bad points:

1) Serious vacuum issues: Engine doesn't't cutoff, Automatic Transmission shifts poorly, Door locks are inoperable,

Just track down the vacuum leak, probably one of the door lock elements.
Cruise Control works but will not hold speed for long.

Needs new CC unit.

        2)      Extremely poor acceleration:  This is my first diesel and first
MB, so this might be user error.  When at a light, I have to almost stand on
the accelerator to get it to crawl through a light.  It takes several car
lengths to accelerator to 20MPH and then it seems to run better.  It will reach
70+ MPH but it doesn't't like to hold it.  Letting off the accelerator seems to
have a large drop in speed by 10-15MPH almost immediately.

Plugged ALDA line, and/or need to adjust boost and ALDA

        3)      Power steering is inoperable.  PO indicates that power steering
pump leaks profusely and removed PS drive belt and pulley.  I have taken
pictures of belt and pulley and they are with the car but not installed.

I have plenty of pumps cheap

        4)      Unknown mileage since odometer doesn't't work.  The Title says
248K miles but the odometer says 238K and I have added ~400 miles on since I
have owned it.  I believe that the mileage on the Title is reasonably correct
but I have no way of verifying what the PO placed on the Title.

Oh well, easy to fix the odo

        5)      Trunk lock has been drilled out by PO.

Stupid PO

        6)   Since the engine doesn't cutoff, then the engine has to be killed
with the fuel cutoff switch on the IP.  The primary hood release has broken off
at the handle and protrudes through the hood.  Since the primary hood release
is troublesome to operate then operating the car means letting the secondary
latch hold the hood down.  Unlatching the hood means pulling the tab for the
secondary hood release at front of the grill.
        6)      A clunking noise that is seems to emanate from the rear
passenger wheel.  It is noticeable at low speeds and seems to quiet down at
highway speed but it is always in the background.  I believe that this may be a
sticking brake since the brakes are very firm when pressed.  Dr. Booth in
answering a similar question that was posted recently suggested a possible bad
half-axle.

Its the rear sway bar links. ABout $15 each and takes about 3 minutes to replace.

I am asking $1500.00 or OBO since that it what I have it in and I hope that
this sheds some light on the car's condition.  I hope that even if there were
no interested party here that some feedback on what information someone might
be interested in knowing would be appreciated. Pictures are viewable at
http://photos.yahoo.com/tssmith2002

Todd Smith