John,

The dealer is either lazy or mis-informed:

You can buy the bushings separately, for something like $100 per side
(list price). Labor to install shouldn't be more than a couple hours
per side, plus alignment. I have a hard time seeing this job over
$500-$600, even at the dealership. They need to pull the control arms,
with the spring compressor, but it's not THAT difficult or time
consuming. The ball joints are replaceable separately, if they are
good, you do NOT have to change them.

Now, for cars with an M104 or M119 engine, the control arms are
different. The bushings are still replaceable separately, however the
ball joints are NOT... they are welded into the arm, requiring
complete replacement of the arm. The whole new arm is bloody expensive
at ~$400/each, list.

If so inclined, you can choose to have Sportline bushings installed,
intead of the squishy stock bushings. The price is almost the same.

:-)

-Dave M.