Bob Rentfro wrote:
LT Don reassured me:

"If you can tug on the valve and feel resistance when it is being held on
 only by the MityVac, you're good to go."

So...help me review...
There are only two places oil can get into the vacuum system: the vacuum pump and the shut off valve, correct?

If I put the Mity Vac on the currently installed shut off valve, its hold vacuum all day long...now I'm kinda stumped.

If the vacuum line to the shutoff holds vacuum (and shuts off the engine) it's NOT the valve. You CAN get engine oil into the lines from the valve or the vacuum pump or transmission fluid (on cars that modulate transmission operation with vacuum) from the transmission or brake fluid from the vacuum booster. I can't think of anything else - any other suggestions?

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi