> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> <<This is all stuff that is not unreasonable on a 20 yr old car.>>
>>
>> Seems to me that a   normal owner who gave a damn would fix these items as
>> they came along and not drive the car into the ground. That's what Honda
>> drivers
>> do.

>From the cars that I've seen, normality applies to 50 percent of owners at
best.

More often than not, the pattern is more like the original or second (that
is, 'interested' or enthusiast) owner keeps the car in top shape and
addresses the problems as they arise. Then the car gets sold to someone who
is unwilling or unable to do the work, and it gradually accumulates enough
niggling issues that when the repair estimate gets done, it generates a
'holy sh*t' reaction and the car gets sold into the wholesale market.

I know a guy who buys up cars like this for resale all the time, from local
garages. Often the cars have little wrong with them that a weekend of
tinkering and maybe some parts hunting won't fix.

Mac