Bad seals in the turbo is a possibility. If there is a weak cyl, it may be getting past the rings.

What kind of smoke? what does it smell like? have you noticed changes in oil consumption, fuel consumption or coolant consumption?

Turbo seal failure, from what I have heard is generally catastrophic, in other words, the engine is fine, then suddenly starts burning oil and smoking. Anyone else have experience with turbo seal failure. I used to have the name of a company where you could buy a cartridge to put in the turbo for about $70-80. I can probably did it ut if that proves to be the problem

After finally getting everything put back together, my '85 300TD is still smoking considerably after replacing the valve stem seals. Although it may be slightly less than before the valve stem seals replacement job, the smoking is excessive and much worse than my '85 300D. Any clues? TIA.

G. M. Brown