Buy a used Hoover. Usually $25 or so at a yardsale or CL. Buy HEPA filter bags and a pair of new belts. The old hoovers last forever. THe newer ones are good (but take flat belts and you need a screwdriver to change the belt)

For canisters, buy a used electrolux, also usually $25 to $50 at yardsale or CL. Buy HEPA bags and you are set.

For either one, repair parts are available and not expensive. Worst repairs I ever had to do on an old hoover is change the brushes (Cheap and easy) or replace the rubber sleeve that holds the bag with a rubber oring from the vac. parts shop. Oh, I forgot, one time the girls in a rental broke the yoke that holds the handle on a hoover. That was the hardest repair. (maybe 45 min)

I guess I should have qualified this a *bit* more. I am not going to spend $1,000 for a vacuum cleaner. For that matter, I'm not going to spend $500 on a vacuum cleaner.

Call me cheap, but this stuff is all way out of my range.

Sorry.

Dan