From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 7:36:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Slower '91 300D 2.5T

I still say you have a vacuum leak somewhere.  If you have to get
full vacuum to the turbo otherwise it vents boost. Also try
cleaning out the line and fitting from the intake to the IP.

On 3/28/2011 12:55 PM, Larry T wrote:

> Hi Gang -
>
> A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Reverse slipping severely - something
> which started overnight.  I spoke with several technician including a MB
> technician and of course, the brain trust here.  All said a new/rebuilt AT
> was needed.
>

> Got the rebuilt transmission from Rusty&  had a shop install it for me.  The
> MB dealer was too pricey but were willing to install a rebuilt AT from a
> non-MB rebuilder - kind of surprised me when they said, "Sure."      Course
> they wanted $1050. ;-)
>

> My shop did it for $650 plus fluid.  He did the R&R overnight which I thought
> was pretty fast.
>

> Anyway, I am writing l ooki ng for  help with an unrelated (I think) problem.
>

> After I lost reverse and knew a new AT was needed, we kept driving it as we
> wait ed for the AT to arrive.  The forward gears began to slip and it felt
> like the turbo was not putting out the power as usual.  I thought it was
> related to the transmission and would get better when the AT was replaced.
>

> It ran poorly and shifted poorly after I picked it up and I quickly found a
> disconnected vacuum line and fixed it.  It is much better than it was and
> shifts smoothly as it should. But when driving at a steady speed of sa y,
> 45mph, and I attempt to speedup, it feels like the turbo isn't working at all
> - it very slowly builds speed.  If I use the Kick-down, it accelerates
> better, but I didn' t need do that before all the trouble started..
>

> If I put the pedal on the floor and leave it there it shifts at ~4300rpm as
> it should and feels relatively fast, but the "power" when cruising feels very
> low.
>

> I know the turbo must spool upbefore it produces significant  HP but before
> all this happened with the AT, it accelerated much better.  I have searched
> for more vacuum connections lose and bad hoses, even the accelerator linkage
> - and all looks in order.  Also checked the air filter and changed the
> pre-fuel filter.  I haven't changed the primary filter in about a year/12,000
> miles but I don't think it's time for that....
>

> The things I have NO clue how to check are all of the black boxes that
> control the various systems.  No idea where to start.   Could a bad ALARA (is
> that right) cause this?
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks!
>
> LarryT
>
> 91 300D 2.5T
>

> Let your engine tell you how healthy it is!   Visit www.youroil.net   For
> Inexpensive Oil Test Kits!
>

> Let your engine tell you how healthy it is!   Visit www.youroil.net   For
> Inexpensive Oil Test Kits!
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  99 E430, 99 E320, 95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD,
  92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2,
  85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D,
http://www.okiebenz.com

-----