http://mitnse.com/

On 4/12/2011 11:10 AM, Peter Frederick wrote:
So far supposedly it's only iodine 131, which is less nasty than, say, burning
plutonium, but very serious.  1/10th the amount released from Chernobyl, but
that was the core vaporizing, so there was lots more heavy stuff than iodine.
I don't remember what the daughter products of decay are, but they probably
aren't nice, either.

No work yet on strontium, which is probably the worst light element to be
released.  Plants pick it up and so does bone (it's under calcium in the
periodic table and works like it, except that it never comes back out of the
bones once added).  Half life of 25,000 years and a beta emitter if I remember
correctly, almost a certainty to acquire leukemia eventually after significant
accumulation.

Probably lots of cesium as well, along with radio xenon and radon.  Those don't "count"
as they are dumped constantly from all nuclear power plants as gases.  That's what the nice tall
stack no one ever mentions is for.  Usually not measured because they are not "toxic".

And we are not done yet, either....

Peter