From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:48 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Totalled car insurance

Mountain Man <maontin....@gmail.com> writes:

> The problem with insurance is that it is required.
> When businesses like this get written in to law, they have a captive
> audience and zero respect for the rate payer - it is total scam,
> absolute robbery.  They skate away from paying whenever...

Your perspective is not my experience.  The only trouble I've had with
insurers trying to get out of paying for claims was with optional
insurance (health and long term care, specifically).

Auto insurance is mandatory but there is also a lot of competition.  I
can chose between dozens of carriers and there are a range of plans from
basic minimum liability-only to full coverage.  Choice and competition
is good for the consumer.

ALL types of insurance are regulated, AFAIK, but few are as open as auto
insurance to competition.  Term life may be another one (I guess one
never knows if his life insurance claim gets paid though....)

Allan
--
1983 300D