I was putting my new tie rods (which Rusty shipped superfast - if only I
were as quick :) onto my '77 300D this morning.  Outers went on beautifully;
however, I'm having a problem with the center.

I can get the new rod's cylindrical shafts about 60% in, and it is
frightfully tight.  I used my plier popper to get it back out, and noticed
the original cylindrical shaft has a modest taper to it, but the new one
does not.  I can get the lock nuts so they are just on, but no way I can get
the extra threads up.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tim