On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:33:10 -0400 Rich Thomas
<richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

> OK I see on the winders TCP/IP properties that I can put in some DNS
> addresses (it is checked to obtain automatically now) but I think it is
> my DSL modem that is trying to connect to a DNS server; otherwise, how
> do all the other boxes know where to go (or put another way, how is it
> they all try to go to the same DNSs automatically?)?  I see I can do
> something similar on the iMac.  Would I need to set all the connected
> devices to go to a specific DNS address?  Not sure I can do that on the
> AppleTV box, and if I have random laptops jumping on the wireless, will
> they try to go to the ATT servers that appear to be problematic?  Which
> box exactly is it that tries to get to a DNS and fails?  Or is it
> something else in the modem preventing that automatic access?

If you have DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) enabled, yes, the
modem will assign local addresses for all of your machines as well as DNS
addresses.

Try setting specific Domain Name Service (DNS) addresses on one machine
and see if that solves the problem. Note, you may have to assign the
machine a specific local Internet Protocol (IP) address, too. You can do
that by looking at the address it's assigned by the modem, and then using
an address that has the same first three numbers the same and the fourth
about 20 higher. I would expect local address of the form of one of the
following:

10.0.0.x
172.16.0.x
192.168.0.x

with maybe the last zero a one.

Craig

p.s. I hurt my right hand at work today and it's difficult typing with
only my left.