I think he checked and it was going to be over 1k to get it home. Then there would be the expense of the engine repair if indeed it needs it.

On 4/28/2011 11:09 AM, Randy Bennell wrote:
Bad news for all but Kleb I guess. I think the owner should have stored it with one of the folks who offered a spot, long enough to arrange some manner of having it hauled the rest of the way to Montreal.

I know some folks who suffered an engine failure in a reasonably late model Chevy pickup truck half way between Toronto and Winnipeg a few years ago. They elected to trade it at a dealer where it happened for essentially nothing and buy a used Jetta to come the rest of the way home. They discovered that they did not like the Jetta and kept it only a very short time. They also discovered after the fact, that they could have had the truck hauled home for very little and could then have had the engine rebuilt, or replaced for a whole lot less than they ultimately had to pay to buy another reasonable truck.

When people are faced with difficult decisions far from home, they often take what appears to be the easiest way out, and then regret it when they have had time to think about it.

Randy

On 28/04/2011 10:49 AM, David Bruckmann wrote:
The dealer changed the oil and put somethingW-40, probably zeroW-40 if I had to guess. The next day, when Silver Star opened the filter, they found bearing shavings. I don't think they change it, but I do think Luc bought some Rotella.

Oil pressure was down to below .5 bar hot, and would only peg the gauge at 80mph. That was before anyone did anything... with fresh Delvac 1300 15w40. It got worse after the dealer oil change.

The hope was that the pressure limit valve was the culprit, but the bearing shavings in the filter (after only 20 miles of driving) suggested otherwise.

That car has all new Michelins, new subframe bushings, new prop shaft bearing and guibos, fresh A/T and diff fluid, new front and rear seat pads, and a new windshield seal. All MB parts except (regrettably) the subframe bushings. And it was aligned last week at the dealer.

It was a steal for the price.

D.

On 2011-04-28, at 10:45, mercedes-requ...@okiebenz.com wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:59:03 -0500
From: "Kaleb C. Striplin"<ka...@striplin.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Stranded in Oklahoma City, OK

Would it be the rod bearings or main bearings that would cause low
oil pressure?

-----
No virus found in this message.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 99 E430, 99 E320. 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 500SEL,
 92 300SD, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 90 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2,
 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D