Nope, as Max said. when you release the strut upper or lower connection, the LCA will extend down an inch or two. If you want to be a purist, put a jack under the LCA and let it down slowly until the spring is loose.

Assembly is reverse. You can jack up the LCA while holding the spring and its seats in place, then mount the strut.

No spring compressor needed for Rear springs from 1959 until the end of 124 and 126 at least. kleb and other may contribute info about later models, but I think they are the same.

I seem to recall that you needed a spring compressor to remove the rear
wagon struts but didn't see that mentioned.