Because you can't add a second drive to any of the Macs on which SSDs are
available, so you just accept the reduced drive life from using it for
everything?

In related news, Mitch should make sure his page file (and hibernation if
enabled) is moved.  I know it can be done but I'm not sure how.  On Linux
you would just install swap elsewhere, not sure it would be possible on OSX.

My wife's desktop Mac has two HDDs, I do have to give thought to whether I
install to "Applications" or elsewhere.  Similarly, I have probably 10
volumes mounted at various locations on my Linux boxes at work, so I have to
remember which mount point goes where and is replicated by which filer.
Drives me batty when the only good installer is an RPM.

Unfortunately for those of us lacking infinite storage volume control is a
fact of life, regardless of OS.

-Tim
whose son and daughter have just one storage volume