Well you won't have to worry about underbody rust.

--R

On 5/11/2011 11:00 AM, Jim Cathey wrote:
Wretched car.

I put the car up on ramps and started it, let it get good and warm.
It was like a gentle warm rain under the car, all the various fluids
dripping from above.  The most immediately disturbing, and the last
one to start, was coolant.  I had thought that the heater core was
holed and this was coming down from the condensate drains, but I
no longer think so.  I could see the drains pretty well from below,
and they were dry.  The coolant, though dripping from the front of the
transmission, was coming from well forward of that point.  It was very
hard to tell, but it is definitely dripping from the head at the rear
corner of #4.  I can't really see if it's coming from above there, it
may well be.  Or not.  Can the head leak coolant readily from there?
I tried to examine all coolant hoses back in the area and all seemed
dry, but of course you can't see everything 100%.  Head gasket?  The
car did get pretty hot when it lost its coolant through the windshield
washer tank.  Did the head crack?  The block?  Anybody know if the car's
prone to leaking coolant back by #4?

There is ATF everywhere back at the pan.  On everything, especially
the exhaust pipes.  And dripping.  Can't even tell where it's
originating it's so messy.

Power steering fluid, of course.  But that's the normal bad seal
weeping.  The least of the problems I'd say.

And something clear-browny and runny dripping from the ATF cooler line
where it straps to the oil pan.  But it's not red, I think this is
suspension oil running down from above and picking up a lot of
dirt/grime along the way.  I can't really see where it is coming from,
but the two fittings on the pump seem dry enough, though the bottom of
the body is wet with suspension oil.  I've re-sealed that twice, I
probably need to get another pump.)  I did note a flaw in the sealing
surface of the pump body.)  That won't be easy.  That may not be the
only leak in the area, the high-pressure line looks like it joins a
rubber hose, it looks pretty wet there.

-- Jim