The justification of this is overload on sewage treatment facilities by
stuff that would otherwise go into the trash.

Ground up stuff adds biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), which is what sewage
treatment plants remove.  The more BOD in the waste stream, the more sewage
treatment plant is required for adequate treatment.  Ground up stuff adds to
sludge volume also.   Sludge has to be digested and finally dried.  Volume
is a problem.

It is possible (note that I didn't say "theoretically" or "readily" possible)
to so overload a sewage treatment plant with BOD from a particularly strong
source, in one case a chicken slaughtering plant, that the effluent from the
treatment plant is way too strong; it may still have a substantial BOD. Stinks.

Solution in that case was pre-treatment at the chicken plant.  You may not be
able to do that with domestic kitchen waste unless it is really loaded up with
blood or meat waste.  Grease inhibits the bacteria that remove BOD.

But that is why.