I expect you're right, it hadn't occurred to me to try the IR thermometer, I've
got one, will give it a shot.

-Curt

Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 17:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Hot 190D

If it's load dependent, than I would be willing to bet you've got a clogged
radiator.

If ambient temps remain relatively constant and the load on the engine
increases, the thermostat should moderate the flow through the radiator.
?Assuming that the thermostat is OK (and it probably is) what is happening is
the latent heat built up in the engine is not being "removed" through the
radiator.

If the core is clogged, even just partially, the amount of surface area
available to the coolant is reduced, preventing it from dumping all of the heat
load "out" through the radiator.

You can easily confirm this if you get an IR thermometer and measure the
temperature of both the inlet and outlet of the radiator when the engine is
warmed up. ?You should see a noticeable temperature drop from inlet to outlet,
even with the car sitting still and idling. A good justification to buy a cheap
HF IR thermometer.

What you describe is a classic example of a clogged radiator from my
experience. ?And I've had a couple of them in both 123 and 126 chassis cars.

Dan