If it's the stock Bosch alternator, I do believe the regulator is on
the outside of the alt housing. Therefore you should be able to easily
unbolt the old one and hook up the new one. I, unfortunately, have a
Delco on mine thanks to a PO who believed in monkeying with a good
thing, and the regulator is on the inside. So I've actually got to
remove the alternator for any work. I think the Bosch regulator looks
like a black box about 3 inches long on the rear of the housing.

Tim
1982 300TD Moby