In a message dated 11/20/2005 11:30:47 P.M. US Mountain Standard Tim,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Allright, I'll admit it: There's no way I'd attempt to rebuild my  engine,
so
I'm either putting in a used one, or having it rebuilt. (talking  about my
83
240D with siezed engine)

Brian - I just went through this and can tell you the wrong way.  My 300SD
died a couple of hundred miles from home.  I bought a cheap used engine
[$500 + $100 shipping] from a salvage yard because the guy said that he knew
the car / engine and it was a complete engine and ran well.   He even said
he would pay return shipping if I were not happy.  It came as a stripped
engine [said he didn't know stuff had been removed, and gave me a $100
rebate] and I spent $800 having all my stuff put on his engine after further
assurances he knew the thing personally and it was a good strong engine,
plus over $900 more to have it installed.  Figured that was a good
investment.  Turns out that it had about 100 lbs of pressure per cylinder.
Wouldn't even start.  I got all my money back, including shipping, and kept
the engine [he can have it back when he sends me the $1,700 his lies cost
me].  Labor charges stayed.
Decided it was time to go with Potomac German Auto.  Theirs was @$1,400,
129K, 365 lbs pressure per cylinder.  It was a complete drop in engine.  I
asked for the VIN and they called me back an hour later and said that the
engine had 150K 5 years ago - ran full diagnostics and all was well. Another
$960 engine swap. Two cracked rings.  Wouldn't start.  PGA was apologetic,
picked up their engine and sent another from one of their employees personal
cars.  @$1,000 for the replacement.  Indy in Melbourne installed it for $500
and it is a great engine - after I replaced the oil hoses and gasket on the
filter canister [more $].   My car is finally back [after 8 weeks] and I am
happy with it, BUT it cost me well over $5,000 to end up with a used engine.
For a bit more I could have had it rebuilt, gotten a rebuilt, or spent less
and bought a complete car with a decent engine.
     I'd still rather trust folks, though I get taken once in awhile.  But
either know and trust your mechanic or your donor car.  Engine swaps are not
cheap.
THE GOOD news is that there is a place the Melbourne indy said he just
discovered [too late to help me] that will send you an engine [standard 6
mos guarantee] or for another $100 will make it a full year INCLUDING LABOR.
I can call him and ask who that is if anyone wants.  Good luck.
BillR
Jacksonville FL  904-707-0404
1981 300SD   'EM'  266k / engine 200k?   Delvac
2001 I30  'Hers' 72k
1996 Sentra  265k / 120k engine [loaned to one of the kids]