To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Reputable shipping company for used engines

Once I thought about buying a 1934 or 35 Terraplane engine and
transmission off ebay that was posted for local pickup only.
Location in some rural town in MA.

UPS says they will pickup and ship and thing to anywhere.  I found
they don't include Terraplane engines and transmissions in "anything."

They sent me to someone who referred me to a group called
Craters and Freighters. 800 number.

The 800 number people referred me to C&F not far from where the engine
was.  Boston I think.  Must be a franchise or similar.

They want to know dimensions and where to and where from and weight etc.
I had to make my best guesses.

They gave me a quote to go get it, crate it, and deliver it to me.
The quote was large enough, but I'm convinced it was real.  Five or
six times what it would have cost to buy the engine on the ground;
a lot less than it would havae cost to go get it.  They said they
would adjust for actual size and weight.

I decided against it, once again learning when something you want
that is rare is offered for sale, get it.  Don't screw around.
I may never see another comparable deal.  We get so soon old and
so late smart.

I have had a Benz engine shipped from England to Texas by DHL, but
I think they are now out of business in the USA.  German company.
3 day service from Bloody old  England to Texas. Pretty cheap I thought.

Ought to be easy to find Craters and Freighters, and maybe DHL. Good luck.

  2. Reputable shipping company for used engines (andrew strasfogel)

Message: 2