Well, I guess if one is going very low and slow (for example, a surface vessel at 20 or so knots) and can take "half a day" to get a fix (a known position), the difference is not very important, but at 600+ knots it can become a little more significant. Your NROTC instructor was making it easier for you by rounding a nautical mile down to 6000 feet from 6076.10 feet as stated on page 2-5 of Air Navigation Manual (AFM 51-40, NAVAIR 00-80V-49, dated 1 Jul 73). ;<))))))) For me, it has been rounded up to 6080 feet for 50 years.

Other definitions of a nautical mile in the same paragraph: One minute of arc of a great circle on a sphere having an area equal to that of the earth. One minute of arc on the earth's equator (geographic mile) - 6087.08 feet. One minute of arc on a meridian - one minute of latitude. Two thousand yards for short distances, i. e., very low and very slow. ;<)))

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Dillon" <meadedil...@bellsouth.net>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:05 PM
Subject: [MBZ] OT global obesity alarm

When I was taught navigation in NROTC back in nineteen hundred and
ninety-one, one nautical mile was 2000 yards, or 6000 feet, or one minute of
arc of latitude.  I can only assume that the earth must have gained some
girth, increasing the size of one minute of arc by 80 feet.

Someone tell the global warming folks about the new threat - global obesity, whereby fuel consumption decreases and time slows down, costing our economy billions! Soon we won't even be able to reach Europe, let alone Australia!
Oh the horror!

-Max