Failure to follow the prescribed maintenance and use the prescribed juices.

in plain speak: Green antifriz and not changing it out frequently.

Dieselvolk,

Today my new-to-me OM603 head arrived (#17), so I spent some time inspecting
it and getting it ready for the shop to re-do the valve seals.

The only thing I see that I don't really like is some pitting in five places
on the mating surface, between all the oil and water passages and not near
anything really.  Pictures to follow.

Anyone have an opinion on pitting in areas where it doesn't seem to be near
anything?

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon