Can't read the label. It is most likely a carbon tetrachloride fire extinguisher. They were banned about 1960. It is possible that it is a CO2, but those generally have a cone, and i didn't see any evidence of a cone.

Carbon Tet used to be sold under the "Carbona" label and was also used as a cleaner. Then the gummit decided it was bad and outlawed it. It was also the primary solvent for dry cleaning.

After it was eliminated in the dry cleaning (commercial) industry, many dry cleaners went out of business because there was no direct replacement. It was either invest heavily, or let the gummit put you out of business.

The brass is of some value, and it may have some value to the movie prop industry.

Going through my old boxes, I came across this device that appears to be a diminutive automotive fire extinguisher with mounting bracket, possibly a rechargeable one. See the attached picture. One of you "senior" guys recognize this? It looks too small to be of value in a real fire. When I turn the knob, I hear hissing. Given that it is made of brass, it must be from years ago. Would look good in my 240D, maybe? Can someone provide facts about this thing and how/when it was used? Doesn't look like it would come from Pep Boys or other discount store. More about the old boxes in a later submission.

Jerry
1982 240D
1991 Volvo 240

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6234 (20110623) __________