Long ago, I read, particularly in Consumer Reports, how credit unions
are a much better deal for their members, etc.

I tried to put that into practice.  My sad experience is that I always
could do better at a bank.  That's even before an old friend became
president of my bank.

I don't know why, but I do know what.