From: "Mitch Haley" <m...@voyager.net>

Dimitri Seretakis wrote:
One month later I saw it
 driving around in the adjacent town.

Was the door fixed?

My dad sold the Jeepster Commando when I went to university.
It needed a shift fork, which I wanted to replace and he wouldn't let me tear the transmission apart. As soon as I was gone, he advertised it for $200. When the bottom of the tailgate had rusted out a few years later, we riveted in a full width aluminum patch. I saw that Jeep running around the next summer, still with its aluminum/steel tailgate.
Mitch.
_______________________________________
Aluminum and rivets make great body repair parts; probably on a par with
shoe goo and microwave ovens.  Toward the end of it's life
the floorboard under the drivers feet in my '67 200D rusted out  in the back
and sides.  It was very handy because you could push down on it and sweep
dirt and sand out through the crack.
Finally, after son and daughter complained about it several times, I laid multiple layers of aluminum valley on the floorboard and up the sides of the tunnel and side beam, and whacked them into shape with a rubber mallet. Several outdated and lumpy tubes of window caulking were split open and the contents spread on the aluminum pieces to seal out water. Then I drilled and pop-riveted the whole
mess in place.
Because of the multiple layers of aluminum valley, the new floor was very strong. It was still in good condition when the White Tornado, as the teenagers called it,
met its end in a Georgia junkyard.
Gerry