Alex Chamberlain wrote:

You don't?  I have always been wary of washing car engines with water
under any significant pressure.  I seem to remember that BMW at some
point in the late '80s or '90s issued a service bulletin that strongly
recommended against engine washing because of the potential for water
being forced into connectors, "sealed" electronic modules, etc.

I killed a few relays doing weekly underhood washings of a Chrysler product.
Unlike my similar vintage MBZ, it did not have the relays in a covered box.

Mitch.