Doesn't a manual boost controller just take the place of the waste gate? If so then I would still have just the 5-6 lbs at 55-60. The boost only goes higher then that when I really push the peddle down to accelerate fast and it will go up fast and then stop right at 9lbs. It doesn't matter if I am going 45 or 60 when I nail it the boost pops up and then stops at 9. When I let off to go to cruise the boost comes down just as fast to whatever the steady state pressure is for that speed. I can see where a manual boost controller will allow the boost to go higher at the top end but don't really see it increasing the boost at 5-6lbs. I don't think the spring is that weak that it would be letting exhaust by at that low a pressure, especially in the one that has just been rebuilt. From what I have read in a lot of different places 9lbs seems to be the most reported top pressure in unmodified turbos. I have been thinking of turning the spring adjustment to try and raise the top boost but haven't had the time to remove and dissect one of the turbos and do that. When I get to that I will let everyone know what I found out. Right now I just took time out to pull all the trim off the 300D and get the worst dents taken out and repainted. Looks quite nice but I wish I hadn't done it. Now I worry all the time about someone banging into it with their door. I've taken to parking farther away and walking a bit. May get over that in a while or I may just sell it so I don't have to worry about it any more.

Manfred

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:28:41 -0400
From: Rolf <r...@winmutt.com>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Bearing kit and special tool? Now chaning a cv,
    shaft too...

Proper boost is 11psi. Youd be surprised how much of a diff 2-3 psi
makes. You might be able to increase cruising boost by using a manual
boost controller. The waste gate will start opening as it approaches max psi, making for more of a curve, with the mbc you get a straight ride up
and then a direct fall off.

-Rolf