Try starting it on diesel purge only. Bypass the pre-filter and crack every injector line and close them off as you see the fuel dribble out. If you crack them 1/8-1/4 turn, the fuel will only dribble or squeeze out where the pipe goes in the nut.

When you were trying to start it, did you hold the pedal to the floor? In my experience starting my OM603 after running out of fuel, it takes a LONG time to get the fuel from the tank....almost to the point of running the battery down, even on a warm day. Make sure you have a fully charged battery next time you try starting it.

 Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'87 300SDL (312,xxx mi)
'91 Dodge Ram 150 (290,xxx mi)