I like to take the point of view that in a way the Vietnam war was a success insofar that the supposed domino effect did not occur. I could argue that without the war we may well have the situation that a large percentage of south east Asia turned to communism and this may well have led to a much bigger conflict. Also I feel the problem the US (and Australia) had was that where they to have escalated the conflict, there would have been a chance that China may have become directly involved, once again leading to a bigger conflict. I think there was a strong will to win (no one likes to lose) but also the fear that China or even perhaps the USSR would come to the aid of North Vietnam. Also there was a certain amount of provocation, insofar as the US was aligned with South Vietnam and I don't think the south invaded the north.

Hendrik
who is thinking outside the square

WILTON wrote:
There was clear-cut provocation (in Atlantic and Pacific) and a strong will to win in WWII; 'none of that in Vietnam.

Wilton