85??? Oh wait that's kph.  52 mph, yeah that's about what I'd expect.
These things were built as urban delivery/transport vehicles.  They are
probably OK around town up to about 40mph then they'll start to
struggle.  If that's your intended purpose, you just need to think about
whether it's going to be worth it to own a very rare vehicle for that
purpose, with attendant difficulties in finding parts or service.

No way would this be a good replacement for a family van or minivan that
you're going to want to use for long highway trips.

Even if you upgrade the engine, maybe get a turbo 617 in it, you'll then
need to worry about the brakes and the handling at highway speeds.  It
just wasn't meant for it.

Allan

redghost <redgh...@comcast.net> writes:

> Top speed with a clapped out engine is 85kph
>
> clay
>
> 1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and runs and runs
> 1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
> POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers
>

> On Aug 7, 2011, at 6:38 PM, Fmiser wrote:
>
>>> redghost wrote:
>>
>>> http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2533097759.html
>>>
>>> I am going to look at this as my replacement for Gump.  Need
>>> something that I can haul stuff around and having a bus might
>>> come in handy.  I had an alltrac previa for a bit and when it
>>> died we got rid of it.  I have far too many parts in storage
>>> and now no way to transport them for putting on CL.
>>
>> I'll bet it'll be slow.  Probably make a 220 with at automatic
>> transmission seem fast.
>>
>> But if you are not in a hurry...
>>
>> --    Philip

1983 300D