> Allan Streib wrote:

> I never have.  My engine starts easily, has good power,
> doesn't smoke, so I feel that this is a case where "if it
> ain't broke don't fix it" might apply.

Well, not really.  As the engine wears, the timing will retard.
Which is the safer direction.  And as it happens slowly, you
likely will never notice it happening.  But power, efficiency,
carbon buildup, and injector health are affected by the timing.

Check the timing.  Most likely you can then ignore it until the
chain stretch changes noticeably.  Check the chain at least once
a year (in the autumn) when adjusting the valve lash.  If you
put lots of miles on the engine, valve lash might be needed more
than once a year.

--      Philip