On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:19:32 -0600 Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> You can, however, download a brochure from
> http://microcarmuseum.com/brochure-web.pdf

The brochure says in part,

       The microcar, a vehicle born out of need, was a child of its time
       and became a symbol of a people's spirit.

       World War II came to an end in 1945 and Europe lay in ruins. A
       shell-shocked population came out of the bomb shelters and faced an
       unimaginable scene of devastation and ruin.

       As if the seemingly endless task of clearing away the rubble wasn't
       enough, there were crippling shortages of food, raw materials,
       electricity, and gas. Value and worth were measured in Chesterfield
       cigarettes.

       The population collectively rolled up its sleeves and went to work.
       The astonishing rebuilding of an entire continent over a perios of
       ten years was accomplished through a unity of spirit and purpose
       unimaginable today. Bright, talented engineers, many out of the
       former aircraft industry, put their minds to the problems of
       mobilizing the population under adverse conditions. It is said that
       the true master reveals himself within limitations and so this
       focusing of energy and talent resulted in an enormous variety of
       small vehicles, some successful, others less so -- but all of them
       uniquely interesting.

I hadn't thought of it, but I was born in 1950 and remember 1955. Just
like 9-11 was ten years ago, so the end of WWII was ten years before
times I remember. But those times were much more earth-shaking. Fighting
all over the world for 5+ years, the development of nuclear weapons. What
I perceived then seemed "normal" to me, but it was a significant
departure over what had been the norm even 20 years earlier. I'm sure
Wilton and others can comment further and from a more perceptive
perspective.

Craig
Waxing philosophical this evening as he is doing finish carpentry work on
our new laundry room....