know of a good free program I can download that will test the ram?

On 8/12/2011 9:06 AM, Walt Zarnoch wrote:
Sounds like either a driver-induced hang, or ram that's starting to flake
out.

Walt
On Aug 12, 2011 10:05 AM, "Kaleb C. Striplin"<ka...@striplin.net>  wrote:
My home desktop has been acting strange lately. This computer has 2
hard drives, the original with the original Vista install, and a 2nd
that has XP installed. I boot it and run it from the XP drive. Right
before I went on vacation I noticed it seemed to be shutting off. What
it is doing when booting up it will get about half way thru then
completely power off. Turn it back on same thing. Start it is safe
mode and it starts and will run all day with no problem. So I did a
system restore and got it started in normal mode, used it for a while
and put it in stand by. Next time I went to use it as it was coming out
of stand by it shut down. So I booted it in safe mode again and once
again it would sit there and run all day. My thought was maybe it was
getting hot but that cant be it since it will shut off right when
started up so it would not be hot, and it runs all day in safe mode. So
yesterday I decided to make the vista drive the primary and booted from
it. Even booting on that drive with a completely different install it
completely shuts down when booting. I did get it started in normal
vista mode once and had internet but then later even though it said it
was connected to the internet I could never get anything to connect.
That was strange.

So, anybody have any ideas? As I said before I thought heat at first,
but then I figured something was corrupt in the XP install. But since
it does it in both the XP and Vista install it almost seems like its
some sort of hardware issue that shuts down the whole computer. I am
probably going to move whatever is important off the vista drive over to
the xp drive and do a clean install of windows 7 on that drive and see
what happens.