This part of the country is.... Florida? Sorry, don't remember, but I do
remember that you just moved.

Max

LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

In this part of the country, a heat pump water heater makes a lot of sense,
since water heaters are typically installed in the garage, which, even in the
coldest months, is well above 60F (or more.)  Right now, with ambient temps in
the mid 90s, it's not unrealistic to expect temperatures in the garage to be
even higher.  Park a couple of cars in there that were just driving around and
close the door, and you're really cranking up the heat.

I would not expect one of these to generate enough cool air to cool the garage,
but it certainly can't hurt in dropping the heat load somewhat.

My biggest concern is finding a place for the condensate to drain, as the water
heater in the house we're currently working on buying is right in the middle of
the back wall.  You couldn't get farther from the doors or side walls than
where it currently sits.

I haven't had a chance to check, but it's possible there is an expansion joint
in the concrete slab nearby. I can't imagine the volume of water from this
thing to be significant enough to not be able to drain down a crack in the
expansion joint (remember, everything around here is sand, so once it gets
through the slab, it's on it's way.)

One of the really nice things about buying this water heater from Lowe's is
that they routinely sell it for almost $300 off list ($1600-$300=$1300) and
they offer a 12 year warranty for $80.

Between the reduced electrical consumption and the tax credits, I can't see
this being a bad deal...

Dan