Remove the fan and heatsink from the processor. Scrape underside of heatsink
and clean as much gunk off processor as possible without damaging. Put on
new heat grease, reinstall heatsink. Fire it up and watch problems melt away
.... no wait, that's just the grease.

EdB

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin <ka...@striplin.net>wrote:

> I thought yesterday the problem was with the XP drive, with it unplugged
> the vista drive fired up normally.  I did have it do the shut down in the
> middle of booting once after that.  This morning it started doing it again.
>  It would not boot at all, would just shut off.  Tried starting in in safe
> mode with networking, same thing, tried just plain safe mode, same thing.
>  Tried booting with last known good configuration, it started normally.
>  WTF?  I am not sure if I mentioned it or not but part of my testing was to
> try it with only 1 stick of memory, then the other.  It did the same thing
> with either so if its go something to do with that, both memory sticks are
> bad.  I also am running it with no power to that 2nd xp hard drive and also
> have the cd drive unplugged in case it was a power supply problem (which I
> dont think it is).  This is just a cheapie emachine computer I bought about
> 4 years ago.  Im leaning toward just buying a new one.
>
> --
> Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
> 99 E430, 99 E320. 97 E300, 95 E300, 93 300D, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 91
> 350SDL, 91 300D, 90 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2,  85 190D, 84 190D, 84
> 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D http://www.okiebenz.com

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*