Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> writes:

> See Alex's 603 filter change, cranking forever thread.  Get it running
> first.  warm it up.  change oil. start it up. run it a few days unless
> fuel filters are plugged. then change one thing at a time, and run it
> in between.  Gives you a chance to learn the car and its quirks before
> introducing a lot of variables.  Changing one fluid at a time
> minimizes variables if something goes wrong.

It's ALIVE!!!!  Even have a thunderstorm rolling in so it's an
appropriately mad-scientist environment here.

Started right up actually.  Glow relay seems to be working properly:
lamp came on and went off as it should.  Started after just a few
compression strokes.

Fuel is in Reserve so I'm going to need to get a container of diesel out
here.  Banjo bolt at the spin-on fuel filter is leaking.

One funny thing I noticed right off -- the alternator fan seems to be
just *slightly* making contact with the bracket.  I can hear a light
metallic "tink" sound when its running and there are some shiny spots on
the tips of the fan blades.  I noticed when the alternator was loose,
before I put the belts on, that it would not turn at all.  But it seemed
to have clearance once it was tightened up.  But I guess not quite.
Anyone encountered this problem before?

Also the key shutoff doesn't work, had to use the stop lever.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1979 300SD