Thanks, I was thinking to check the valves on that cylinder, but that means taking off the AC stuff, etc. to get the valve cover off, no fun. Maybe worth it before spending the $$ on the tool. I'll give the spray a test, though I put on a new set of intake gaskets and torqued everything correctly.

Here is the method that the manual says I need to do. It seems to be a common issue that does require a real time code scan tool.

       I am thinking that the reading you are seeing isn't cam retard
       but actual distributor timing that the ecu is trying to attain.

       Below is the text from GM Service manual for 1997 Chevrolet C
       Pickup 5.0L, 5.7L, and 7.4L
       According to this you don't set the timing but the timing offset.
       You need a "Scan Tool" that plugs into the truck and can read
       the data from the trucks computer.
       Besides from that, it looks like a normal timing procedure.

       Setting Timing
       Camshaft Retard Offset Test
       The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need
       adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of
       the distributor, perform the following:

       With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
       Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

       Important
       Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

       Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
       Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
       If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0° ± 2°, the distributor
       is properly adjusted.
       If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0° ± 2°, the distributor
       must be adjusted.
       Adjusting Camshaft Retard Offset

       With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down
       bolt.
       Important: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below
       1000 RPM

       Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
       Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
       Rotate the distributor as follows:
       To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in
       the counterclockwise direction.
       To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in
       the clockwise direction.
       Repeat step 4 until 0° ±2° is obtained.
       Turn the ignition OFF.
       Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3N.m(25 lb. ft.).
       Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck
       Camshaft Retard Offset.

--R