Reminds me: Summer of '58, while SWMBO and I were visiting my mother for a few days, I started to cut here grass with her rotary mower that had dull blade. I asked SWMBO to a hardware store in town 22 miles away and get a 12" flat bastard file. She came back in a few minutes and said to me, "They wanta know what you are using it for." I replied, "Just get the file - a 12" flat bastard file - I'll decide how I'm gonna use it - just get the file." Fast forward to spring of '88; I was using a chain saw in the back yard; 'needed some oil for its chain; 'didn't wanta take extra time to go significantly farther and pay extra money for "chain oil." 'Asked SWMBO to go to garage 2 blocks away and get "a quart of the cheapest motor they have." She came back in a few minutes and said, "They don't have any." I jumped in the car and went to the garage; walked in and asked, "Do you really not have any motor oil?" Mechanic replied, "Oh, yeah, we have motor oil, but she said you're gonna use it in a chainsaw. We don't have chainsaw oil." My reply, "I am, but it's irrelevant what I'm using it for. Just sell me a quart of the cheapest motor oil you have."

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I bought a battery...

I don't trust the Autozone computers.

Last battery I bought was for my '85 190D, they wanted to sell me some dinky little thing, 700cca. I said "No, I want a Group 49" they insisted. I told them I had an '83 240D (not a lie, I did have one) and they tried to sell me an EVEN SMALLER(!) 600cca unit.

I finally told them I had no car at all, had walked in that day and I wanted a big battery to run my boat. They let me pick whatever I wanted.

I'm so glad they built a new Autozone just over the border in tax free New Hampshire. When I went yesterday they asked if I needed anything, I responded "as long as the oil is in the 'oil zone' I'm all set." They laughed and allowed as how that was probably where the oil was. I see I'll have to train this store to carry more M1 5w40 but thats not all that hard.

-Curt